Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Tennessee Crossroads Comments on Cullman Ride

Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:27 PM
Subject: Tennessee Crossroads

Barb, Thanks for sharing the pictures. I did take a look at just a few of them.  It is pretty amazing for those ‘young’ guys to make that trip. How many miles did they ride? From one of the picture I saw, I think they went on into Alabama. But where is the church located, at the very end of the pictures?
And under small world’s, we are re-running the Delina Mkt. next week on Sept 27 & 30th. Plus in their travels, if they come across a place that they think we should profile..tell them to send me some information about the place. Again, thanks for the pictures.

Ken Simington, Executive Producer
Tennessee Crossroads, Nashville Public Television

1 comment:

Blog Admin said...

From: Bruce Day
Subject: Tennessee Crossroads

Ken,
We did 171 miles total in 3 days, 48,54,69 miles respectively. All miles are not created equally and the hardest day was day 2 with some places we had to push our bikes up the hills and old bodies to their limits.
The church at the end is in Alabama, near the city of Hanceville in Cullman County. http://olamshrine.com/ I know of nothing like it in TN.

Tennessee Crossroads has always been one of my favorites. It and I have been to many of the same places. I'd have to look over you past shows to see if you've missed any of mine. Off the top of my head some you may not have done are Ames Plantation near La Grange, La Grange itself is noteworthy with the last functioning cotton gin I've seen. The Garden Inn on Bee Rock Road in Monterrey, Spencer's Mill south of Burns, any of the thee Historic Hotels in Red Boiling Springs, Pinewood General Store in Nunnelley... Alas, the Boobie Bungalow in Elkton is closed. I've never had the nerve to go inside but would not mind you have given me a tour.
Thanks for the interest and you will be on my mind as I continue to cycle the back roads of Tennessee.
Bruce Day